Thursday

Indian Spices

I am forever amazed when I read about recent studies stating the numerous health benefits of spices commonly used in Indian cooking. I wonder what made our ancestors know these spices were really good for us?

Some interesting things I read in regarding common spices used in Indian cooking:

Dalchini (or dalchin chekka or cinnamon sticks) and lavanga (or cloves):

"Two related studies have shown that cinnamon and cloves can reduce the risk factors for diabetes and heart disease up to 30%" (Times, December 04th, 2006)

One study performed by the Beltsville Human Research Center, Maryland stated that consumption of 1g, 2 or 6g of cinnamon caused a reduction in blood glucose levels, LDL levels (bad cholesterol) and also total cholesterol levels in people suffering from Type 2 diabetes without affecting the levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
Link to the abstract
Link to another study by the same group about similar benefits in cloves

Ginger:

Each time I complained of a cold, my mother used to tell me, "have some hot ginger tea!" Imagine my surprise when I came across an article which lead me to numerous studies correlating ginger powder and inflammation! Ginger powder has been suggested to be an effective agent useful in reducing symptoms of nausea (pregnancy related, post-operative, motion sickness, chemotherapeutic) and inflammation (example: arthritis).
Link to a paper presented in a journal about ginger
Link to abstract

1 comment:

buy Vermact 12mg online said...

Eating healthy methods following a healthy eating design that incorporates an assortment of nutritious foods and drinks. It additionally implies getting the number of calories that is ideal for you

OStat 120 mg is an antiobesity preparation that helps in diminishing the weight of obese patients. Take this medication with every supper containing fat.

The Colors of Health

The Colors of Health
Build Site Maps